KOCHI: Preparations are in full swing as the city gears up to host the second edition of Kochi-Muziris Biennale, the 108-day mega art event, starting December 12.
Jitish Kallat, curator and art director for the biennale, said the second edition would feature around 85 artists from over 28 countries. Some of the key artists have already made site visits. They include Franceso Clemente, Anish Kapoor, Christian Waldvogel, K G Subramanyan, Sudhir Patwardhan, Ghulam Mohammed Sheikh and Namboodiri.
“The exhibition brings together art works that picture versions of the world referencing history, geography, astronomy, time and myth, interlacing the terrestrial with the celestial.” The full list of artists will be announced in a few weeks. Kallat had been engaged in a year-long research trip to select the artists for the much-awaited second edition.
Venues for the second edition are getting ready and the artists have already started working on site. KBF president Bose Krishnamachari said the foundation has retained most of the venues of last time.
“But this time we will have additional venues and projects in a few public spaces. We are looking forward to an engaging project put up by Kallat,” he said. The KBF has been organising several talks and cultural programmes in the run-up to the Biennale.
Riyas Komu, director of programmes, said the KBF has always been mindful of the larger participation of the people to engage them with contemporary art.
“This time we will be having several programmes including the students’ biennale, children’s biennale, Artists’ Cinema Project and various cultural programmes that will run parallel to the biennale,” he said.
The mega art festival is slated to conclude on March 29, 2015.
Published: 04th September 2014 06:00 AM